Monday, July 5, 2010

Delhi and Dehradun

Namaste!!!!!!

I've finally made it to India and my first day of rotations! I flew into Delhi on Saturday the 3rd and walked around a market, I stayed in this eye hospital hostel, it was very very hot that night, during the day someone told me it was 40 degrees C and that translates to about 107 degrees F!!!! I was sweating so bad!

On Sunday was traveled to Dehradun, north of Delhi by train, it was about a 7 hour train ride and it was quite interesting, we were served many odd arrangements of food ranging from chai to bread and butter to a fried potato patty! Once in Dehradun I settled into my home stay with my host mother Ninu, her cooking is very good and I especially like the spicy Indian food she has been serving us, everything is veggies too. For Breakfast this morning we had egg sandwiches and chai and then went off to rotations with the doctors.

The first doctor I worked with today was Dr. Ganhdi, he is a very hard working doctor and has his own hospital with about 20 beds (this is what I saw anyways). He works from about 11am to 1am and gets about 4 hours of sleep a night. He is an amazing person and cares a lot about his work and patients. We saw a variety of patients today including a brain hematoma with a severe aspiration complex from feeding the patient too much, cellulitus in the eye, a heart murmur that caused a stroke, and septic shock that weakened the capillaries in the lungs and caused SOB (difficulty breathing). I'm so excited I'm learning sooo much!!!!! The second rotation today was very short because the doctor had to run off to an emergency surgery on a patient that had a complication from a surgery earlier today.

Well this is it from me now, but I'll be updating reguarly this week, hopefully. There was a strike today by almost all of India because of some kind of raise in the price of fuel and nothing was open today, so I'm very happy that I found this internet cafe open!

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment